Friday, 9 June 2017

Mad dogs and Englishmen

The say that it's only mad dogs and Englishmen that go out in the noonday sun. I guess I must fall into the category of an Englishman because I just spent the last hour and a half outside in the noonday sun. I would have had my tasks done earlier when it was cooler, it's 30 deg C (86 F) with the humidex, but I slept in.   

One of the joys of living in a log home is dealing with pests that want to convert said log home into log wood chips. In our area there is a serious problem with carpenter ants and each spring we get the place sprayed. I would do it myself but the good folks who run our nanny state think I'm incompetent. I am not permitted to take care of my property from these pests under law. 

This morning at the ungodly hour of eight the pest control guys arrived and banged on the door waking me from a sound sleep. I guess retirement has mellowed me because I simply got up and answered the door and didn't kill them. After they left I went back to bed figuring on getting up "in a few minutes." Next thing I know I opened an eye to see my cat an inch away meowing in my face. I looked at the clock and it was noon. 

I went through the morning... er... afternoon routine and then I went out to clean up the yard. I have a rather large area to cut to it took a while and during that time I was like the Englishman baking under the noonday sun.  All I have to say is thank God for hats or I would have fried my brains.

I'm not done yet, there is still the matter of bringing out the fire pit and getting that set up. Tonight it's cocktails with the neighbors and I'm changing things up, I'm going to have a fire to sit around. 

Unless something real special comes up, posting to the blog will resume on Monday, have a good weekend and bye-bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment