Monday, 22 May 2017

Catching up...

This past weekend wasn't too bad. Friday and Saturday were sunny and mild while Sunday was a bit of a washout, rain wise. 

I did manage to fix the railing after a fashion. The twenty minute repair took around forty because of unexpected issues. I had to work around the fact the original builder did a few funky things. For example the screws that held in the railing inserts were put in at an angle because he only had long screws. 
Nothing like making
it harder for the repair guy.
This forced me to use an old fashioned manual (poor baby) screwdriver and to work at an angle. The bottom of the railing was put together so that I couldn't get at the screws to take them out and with that take the inserts out. This forced me to go to a plan B and I hate it when I have to go to plan B.

People ask me why I carry a hunk of string in my pocket...
To get at the area I needed to replace I had to pivot the inserts out of the way and use the hunk of string I carry to tie them off. With this done I was able to cut off the two by four railing and the four by four post. I then measured the replacement pieces, cut them to length and installed them. Of course the new wood hasn't shrunk or weathered so there is a little difference in the size and colour but I can live with that.  

The finished product...


1st Farmer's market
of the year.
On Saturday we went out and about. First stop was to the farmer's market where we picked up a few goodies. It was nice, we saw some old vendors who have become friends and caught up with them. But then stomachs started to growl so it was off for breakfast at out favourite little diner. It had been a while since we were at the diner so over coffee and food we caught up with the owner. You could tell we had not been there for a while. I noticed a "new" jukebox and asked when that had gone in. Turns out it had been a while, the jukebox went in last November. Brunch done we saddled up and went home. 

A couple of hours later we were out and about again, having been invited over to our friend S's place for diner. It was a great combination of good friends and good food. One of the nice things about the visit was that two of her nieces were in town. Yet again we had some catching up to do. It was funny seeing the twins since the last time we had seen them they were a lot younger. Now at seventeen they're all grown up.  

Sunday and S brought the twins out and we met them at Scoops on the Bay, a snack bar/ice cream shop that's just down the road from our place. It was raining but that didn't stop us from having some goodies. 

Well there you have it, the weekend that was. So until tomorrow bye-bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment