Monday, 6 February 2017

Monday musings

This is our Plan B heat
After a restless night I was up early this morning. It's Monday and there were chores to be done. First on the list was getting the fireplace going because the house had gotten a wee bit cold overnight. The temperature had dropped into the high fifties and, while there wasn't any frost on the inside of the windows, for us this was cold. Then I rounded up the trash and recyclables and hauled them to the curb.  

So began another lovely winter day without a furnace and, knock on wood, it looks like our plan B is working. When you take the construction of our log cabin with the thermal mass of the walls and add that to the interior storm windows that we added a couple of years ago, even though the temp drops at night it could be a heck of a lot worse.  

One thing I have been giving consideration to is our plan B's. With the fragility of the supply chain I keep wondering what we could do in the event of a major supply chain failure. The whole supply chain is a very fragile, vulnerable thing from start to finish. When something stops there's a ripple effect all along the line and those ripples don't end until they catch up with the consumer (me, you, government) who would be faced with coming up with a plan B.

A plant goes on strike in the United States and then the ripple effect starts. Thanks to JIT in a short time, once the meagre stockpiles run out, plants down stream close until the strike is over. Then there you are looking for a critical item that "never fails" (yet has failed) to fix a thingamabob that you really need and are told "sorry, it's on back order." Thanks to Donald Trump being the "bull in a china shop" with trade between the United States and the rest of the world, I think supply chain fails are now more likely.

It's not only man made issues that effect the supply chain, there's the weather. Look at what happened recently down East where, thanks to an ice storm, people were without power for up to twelve days. Add to this a supply chain fail and that twelve days of no power could have turned into weeks or months.

I guess I'm just a worrywart who reads to many end of the world novels like my wife says. However one thing I do know is the more ordered something becomes the less disruption it can withstand. So when this is all over and done with, I will take a look at how well we managed and start planning for the next failure. I know I should just worry about today but something I found out years ago is that failure to plan is planning to fail. 

That's enough doom and gloom from me up here North of Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment