Monday, 9 January 2017

Definition of an artist

This morning after going to bed late and failing to fall asleep for a while, I received "the call." The phone call came in the middle of the night at almost nine in the morning. I was in a semi comatose state when the  phone started it's infernal chirping and was forced to to fumble around and find it. Normally these midnight morning calls tend to be a nuisance but in this case the call was one I was actually hoping for.

Back a few months ago I had to fill out some forms for my old place of employment. I took the instructions a little bit too literal when I filled in the blanks so some of the information didn't jive with the info my wife has on her coverage. Of course time passes and I have forgotten about the errors my exactitude and they come back and bite me in the butt. 

The next step was to contact the new overlord of payroll and after explaining the situation try to get her to amend the paperwork. Of course she had to take some vacation time when I was in dire need. In case you are wondering, yes the world does revolve around me. So there I was feeling like the Sword of Damocles was hanging over my head, waiting for the other shoe to drop as it were. Don't get me wrong, we are not poor by any stretch but when one is living on a fixed income one tends to count the nickels and dimes. Well the overlord of payroll called and we had a pleasant chat and she assured me the issue was resolved. 

I sipped my midday java and looked around.  I couldn't help but notice how bare the living room feels. This past weekend the Christmas tree was taken down and all the ornamental doodads, lights and other assorted trappings were packed away. So now there is a void where the tree was. 

On the plus side of the equation what was a large empty space on the wall near our fireplace has been filled with a new shiny. Aside from his talents as a handyman our bro-in-law S is also an artist and finally we have one of his masterpieces. For some years we have been subtly hinting ("Wouldn't one of your paintings look great there?") to our bro-in-law and this past Christmas he came through. 

All kidding aside there are three kinds of people in my world. There are those who work with their hands and they are labourers. Next there are those who work with their hands and their brains and they're craftsmen. Then in the final category there are those, like my bro-in-law, who work with their hands, brains and their hearts. It's this last rare class of individuals who are the artists. Looking at our new shiny on the wall I see a family heirloom. So long as we are around this new shiny will never leave our possession. 

Well that's about enough from up here North of Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment