Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Contrasts

Today is one of those days where I'm reminded of the saying: If you don't like the weather, just wait twenty minutes." Yesterday was a nice day, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Today we have what looks like the onset of the next ice age. There have been times since I got up where I couldn't see across the street for the amount of blowing snow. 

Now contrast this to yesterday, a nice mild sunny winter day. I was out and down to our mailbox to pick up the flyers and other assorted junk mail when I saw "him." The "him' in this case was a Pileated Woodpecker who has been around for a while. This is the bird that my wife has gone out and chased off our log home. The one that has woke me up with his incessant pecking on the side of our house and the one I will eventually be forced to deal with. 

Storm update... The sander has just gone by for the first time today. This means if they follow their pattern the plow guy will be around in a half hour or so. It's rather dumb that they tend to sand first then plow but when the left hand doesn't even know the right hand is connected to the body this is to be expected. 

Now where was I... Oh ya, when I was out yesterday my gaze was drawn to a tap, tap, tapping sound in a nearby dead tree and there was Woody. This little bastard so and so is one of the things that I have to watch out for. I'm in a bit of a bind in dealing with wood peckers. On the one side they can and do damage home not to mention damage my peace and quiet. On the other side, they are just trying to survive. 

Well that brings things up to the present. My wife just finished putting a loaf of bread on and is playing here game with the cat on her lap. Meanwhile I wait at the personal confuser for the plow to make it's pass. Then I will get off my duff and get the driveway cleaned up again. It seems that this is the only thing I do this time of the year but that's winter for you. 

Today's links just for you
One thing about teasing a dog, some dogs have a loud bark and an even worse bite. I hope the Iranians manage to learn this before there is a serious loss of life. 

Speaking of a loud bark the Chinese have begun barking at The Donald. I wonder if The Donald understands the Chinese hold around $1.2 trillion (with a T) dollars of American debt and if they decided to dump it, what would happen to the American economy? 

At least the gang that couldn't shoot straight in Ottawa have come to the conclusion they need to deal with The Donald.  The only bad thing bout this strategy is their point man. Gerald Butts is the guy who advised the Ontario Liberals on alternative energy. His advice has cost Ontario billions of dollars. 

I wonder if this guy will use the Nuremberg "I was just following orders" defense?  

I remember seeing this when I was out and about on frosty winter nights when I was still doing shift work. I wonder what the cause was and now I know. Cool.  

In Europe they are feeling the effects of climate change and sadly people are suffering for it. Looking at the way things are today things are going to get worse in the future. 

I've never been a fan of tattoos but to each his own. As for this, I think it's just plain silly

One of the things I like to do is read good spy novels. Authors like Robert Ludlam and Ian Fleming were master story tellers that I devoured. I guess I've read too many because when I see something like this I start to wonder... 

I read this about an up coming NASA mission and it reminded me of a series of science fiction novels by John Ringo. In these novels an asteroid like the one NASA is going to visit, is converted into a huge battle station to protect the solar system. I have to say these are really good fast paced books. 

Well the plow has been by pushing the sand to the side of the road and that's my cue to get this old butt of mine into gear. Until tomorrow that's it from up here North of Disorder. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment