Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Winter is here

Last night I sat and watched the train wreck presidential election unfold until around eight thirty then I went upstairs and ran a hot bath. I went for a bath because, while watching the election results, a feeling of dread had started to settle over me. At that time it looked like there was a serious possibility the Mr. Trump would become the next president of the not so United States. Little did I know as I immersed myself in a dystopian novel what was coming the world's way. 

When I came back downstairs a few hours later it was to a worst case scenario. I had been hoping for a win by Mrs Clinton and all the rest go to the republicans. My thought process had been that the two sides would keep each other in check. As it turned out the Republicans managed to run the table which from my standpoint was a worst case scenario.

The last time the Republicans held the two houses and the presidency was way back in 1928. A year later the world entered into the great depression after the markets crashed. That little historical tidbit aside the leader of the free world is now a man who, in my view, is a narcissist who suffers from the Dunning-Kruger effect. A business tycoon who has no political experience, has gone bankrupt before and appears to not like listening to advisors.


Last night while I was on Twitter one of the people I follow, , posted the best line of the night. With just three simple words he totally summed up how I felt: "Winter is here." I don't know how bad the future under Mr. Trump will be. The founding fathers who wrote the American Constitution incorporated a lot of checks and balances into that document, I just hope this is enough to keep the new  president from doing something really stupid.  All I am going to say is place your tables and seat backs in the upright position and fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a hell of a ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment