Tuesday, 1 November 2016

November

Another month has come and gone, now we are into November. Long rang forecasts by the weathertainers are saying we should start expecting snow from the tenth of the month.

November

by Thomas Hood

No sun--no moon!
No morn--no noon!
No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day--
No sky--no earthly view--
No distance looking blue--

No road--no street--
No "t'other side the way"--
No end to any Row--
No indications where the Crescents go--

No top to any steeple--
No recognitions of familiar people--
No courtesies for showing 'em--
No knowing 'em!

No mail--no post--
No news from any foreign coast--
No park--no ring--no afternoon gentility--
No company--no nobility--

No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member--
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds,
November!
**********************************

Yesterday I managed to get, with the exception of snow tires on my wife's SUV, the last of the winter preps finished. 

The first chore was the exterior window screens and the interior storm windows. Having to take down and mule the exterior window screens wasn't that big an issue. My wife piped the latches from the inside and I took off the screens from the outside, simple. Then came the mounting of the interior storm windows. Then suckers are not that heavy but the plexiglass in the plastic frames is all bendy and one has to be careful not to scratch the soft plexiglass. The mounting is really easy, all one has to do is plop the window into the frame and let the magnetic backing do it's work. When the storm window seats there is a reassuring thunk of a sound letting you know all is good.

After this was done and I had ingested a little sustenance I took the lawn tractor out for the final spin around the yard. Round and around I went churning the leaves into mulch to feed the lawn and cover/protect the plants from winter's cold embrace. When the lawn was taken care of I parked the tractor in it's winter resting place and took out the battery. Yes friends, I have learned that simply hooking up a one watt solar trickle charger to a battery is a recipe for a trip into town in the spring to buy a replacement battery. 

After taking care of the chores, I had to go into town with the coat from my "marry 'em and bury 'em" suit. Sadly it looks like I'm going to need that suit sooner that I would like. Don't ask...

Later in the day the area kids come around for candy. There wasn't a lot, maybe ten in all, but the costumes were creative never the less. One of the kids had a really cool costume, he was dressed as a retired guy. There he was at the door in a bath robe with heavy wool socks and slippers. It just cracked me up. Note to self for next year, don't buy as much candy. With the limited amount of kids that come around, and that the number is shrinking every year, compounded by the price of candy going up... It just ain't worth the hassle. 

Well that's about all the news from around these parts with the exception of my upcoming visit to the Doctors. I will be headed out this afternoon to plead my case and get this damned kidney stone removed. Pray for me...

Ironic that protesters, who are fighting to save
the environment burn tires causing lots of
pollution while doing so.
Here are a few links for you...

I have to give these guys ten points for their cause and standing up to "the man." But I have to deduct around a million points for he way they are going about things. It doesn't help your cause when cops come over to you because you are being silly and you draw a gun and try to shoot them... and miss.  

Not to be out done by Hillary Clinton and her American Democrats, our Liberals under Kathleen Wynne have their political scandals too

Having worked at a zoo all I can say about this guy is he should have went out after this and picked up some lotto tickets.

Last night while perusing the web I came upon this. It is marketed as a camp trailer but in reality it's nothing more than a empty big box on wheels that isn't even finished on the outside. I guess they're aiming at the more money than brains hipster market. 

I see that in the Canadian Forces nothing's new. When I was in there were a lot leaving because of the conditions. Fast forward to present day and a just released survey has shown a lot of solders are leaving because of the conditions. In my case I was a deputy crew chief (acting) in a fire hall and got a posting to a destroyer where I was scrubbing decks on my hands and knees. Why? The ship's commander didn't like mops.

When I read things like this about the potential aftermath of the American election I get a little concerned. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion on that my moratorium on trips to the not so United States are coming to a middle.  

I will now leave you, so for today that's all from up here North of Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment