Monday, 3 October 2016

Scout Valley

The view from the lookout
Yesterday I went for a stroll at a place nearby named Scout Valley. The weather for the stroll was crisp and clear with the views going on for miles and miles. It's a wonderful place to spend a few hours out walking. 

Arriving at the lookout
I arrived at the trail head around an hour after I put yesterday's blog on line. Getting out of the grey beast in the parking lot I noticed there were a few vehicles but not a lot. Sling bag over my shoulder, ash hiking stick in hand I set off for my stroll. 

A trail to ?
The first thing I encountered was the vertical nature of the trail head, actually more like 15 degrees in angle up hill. To get onto a level area that slope had to be tackled and beat first of the expedition would end before it even started. Not to worry it only took around ten minutes to reach the levelling off point. 

I was on the trail for a little over an hour before it was time to head back to the car. I almost got to the parking lot when I realised that it was the wrong one so I had to back track. Shaking my head and laughing at my silliness, I was at the grey beast  a short time later. Then it was off for home and CT.*

It was a nice stroll, along the way I stopped and chatted with several folks who, like me, were out enjoying the fall day. Some were hikers, others were out with their dogs, it was just nice to be out there.  One thing for sure I will be back at Scout Valley in the not to distant future just for the peace of mind if nothing else.

--
* Way back when I was was a fire fighter at the end of any call the crew chief would call the hall and tell them we were inbound, CTT. The CTT stood for coffee, tea, and toast. Who ever was manning the control centre would start making toast and put the kettle on the boil plus get the coffee on. Well in my case there was no need for tea so it was just CT - coffee and toast. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment