Thursday, 6 October 2016

I have been such a silly bunt...

Sitting here at the personal confuser, like a schizophrenic I am of two minds about my current situation. On the one hand it's good to know I'm not crazy yet on the other hand I'm a little angry at me for letting myself get into the situation I'm in. 

Going to rant mode... Rant mode on.

Last February I paid a visit to my family doctor and told him about a very mild pain I was having on my left side. A short time later he sent me for an ultrasound and when I visited my Doc again in March I was told I had not one but two kidney stones. My Doc then found me a urologist to go see and I was happy the issue was going to be resolved. 

Time passes... 

I met with the urologist in May and that meeting was a little on the strange side. He explained to me that the ultrasound showing where the kidney stones were located wasn't good enough. He told me I needed a CT scan for an exact conformation. At the time I tried to put a rush on things because the pain was increasing. I used golf as an example, telling him about the pain I experienced while trying swing a club. He looked me in the eye, smiled and said that I shouldn't swing as hard. 

Time passes...

On the seventh of August early in the morning I went into the hospital and the CT scan was done. I remember the admitting clerk being puzzled about what parts the doctor wanted the scan taken of. She told me she had never seen this type of code/abbreviation before. I got it sorted out by telling her where the issue was. 

On the eighteenth of August I met with the urologist. He told me there was only one, not two kidney stones and the location of the one kidney stone should not be the cause of my pain. The Doc then went on to tell me that he felt removal of the one kidney stone at that time was inadvisable. His solution was to have me get an ultrasound done in April of 2017 to check on the progress of the stone.  Of course being stupid and refusing to listen to my inner voice I reluctantly went along with this. 

Time passes...

A couple of weeks ago I decided to start working out again. Lately I have been feeling that my inactivity was slowing killing me. Since this saga began I have gained serious pounds and for a diabetic that's not a good thing. When I work out it is usually two sets of each exercise with twenty reps a set. The exception is when I do sit ups. I only do ten per rep. After the third day of this my two kidneys were on fire so I stopped. Three days later the pain had subsided to where it was manageable so I went out for a long walk at Scout Valley. By the end of that walk once again I was in pain. So then the waffling began. Should I call my Doc and get a second opinion? Am I being a hypochondriac? Do I go back to the urologist and demand action? 

Last night once again the pain in my kidneys kept me awake. Finally, being wide awake at three AM, I started to do a little digging.  It turns out my urologist has been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. The body that looks after Doctors in Ontario, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, has scheduled a hearing having put the urologist under the microscope. He has been accused of being incompetent and of fraudulent billing practice

This morning after I crawled out of bed all bleary eyed, I called my family doctor. I get to see him in a few days and I'm going to ask for a second opinion. Failing that I will simply head into emergency and have them take care of it. 

This has been one of the very few times I haven't paid attention to my inner voice. Something was wrong and my inner voice was trying to tell me but I was having nothing of it. Having been out of the investigation game for over a year now I have been trying to ween myself from distrusting people. Now I'm paying the piper for that little screw up. 

Rant mode is off and you are returned to normal programming. As for me, that's all I got from up here North of Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment