Friday, 29 July 2016

It's tough being a luddite

After sleeping in this morning I was up and at 'em with a flourish. Today is cleaning day, a day where several wonderful people enter our home and take care of the things my wife and I hate to do. The cost is moderate and the result is a cleaner home and I don't have to deal with toilets. I know, we could clean and we do except for the nasty bits. So as the mop and pail brigade blitz my humble abode, here I sit on the deck trying to think about thing to write about.  

This morning as I sipped my cup of java I decided to get a little more organized than I am. The first step was to start recording appointments followed by creating a "to-do" list. Naturally I went to my Microsoft Mail program because it has a great calendar. When I couldn't find it I remembered that I had deleted it. I didn't like the intrusiveness of the program. So I went online to see what was available. 

I found this wonderful MS calendar app and installed it. Well of course it wanted all sorts of access that I really didn't want to give it. Delete...  Then I took a look at another "simple" calendar app that fit my criteria and installed it only to find the "free" app was one of those trial things. The problem was, after a month, when they had all my data hostage it would be time to pony up  some cash.  Delete... Eventually I did find a workable solution, an app called Productivity Helper. While it's a Micro Soft App it's not a trial version and it doesn't want to link into my other accounts. My antivirus looked at it and said it's OK so for now I'm going to use it. I'm a firm believer in TANSTAAFL, I just wonder what the catch is.

The only issues with this app are the initial set up. I don't want all the flowery backgrounds and the other extraneous paraphernalia. All I want is something to tell me when I have a appointment and when my wife is at wherever and to jot down daily to-do stuff. 

I'm not really a fan of Micro Soft but for me it's the only real game in town. I while ago I tried a little experiment. I'm lucky enough to have a second laptop. It's older and doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles the one I am writing this has but it works. I installed an operating system on it called Ubuntu which is a Linux based. Being the ham fisted, mongoloid featured, knuckle dragging, gorilla lipped, Luddite I am, well of course I couldn't get it to work. But as they say never say die so my next experiment will be to try an install of Mac OS X Leopard, if I can get my hands on a free copy. But that is in the future, for now I will stick with Micro Soft. 

Well that's about all I have for today from up here North of Disorder. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment