Wednesday, 20 July 2016

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

I have been watching the Republican convention off and on the last day or so. It's a spectacle that so far could not have been better executed if it were brought to you by Ringling Brothers Circus. The Donald is playing the same role as Benito Mussolini did way back when. Meanwhile on the other side is Democratic party hopeful Hillary Clinton. Where The Donald is a Fascist, she could be filling the role of any number of corrupt, crooked leaders down through the centuries. 

A Fascist or a crooked politician, that's the choice Americans will face in November. You could say it is the same type of choice a lamb would make in deciding which of the two wolves it will surrender to. 

Some choice... 

Unlike many other Libertarians I am a moderate. Over the years I have been in many an online debate about government and the role of voting (yes I wrote the V word). Where a great many Libertarians refuse to vote and would rather throw a monkey wrench into the system, I exercise my franchise. I have always believed in something that Edmond Burk once said:  

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.   

Sadly this is what a lot of freedom loving Libertarians are saying to do, don't vote. This do nothing attitude has resulted in a no win scenario choice for America this November.

Right now, right under their turned (vote? I would rather die first!) up noses, there is a Libertarian candidate in the running whose name is Gary Johnson. Mr Johnson is polling in the low teens these days and is a serious threat to the Fascist Donald Trump and the crooked Hillery Clinton. There is so much discontent with Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton that Mr. Johnson could actually be a contender for the White House. While I'm sure that Mr. Johnson isn't perfect, I think he would be a damn sight better then the other two. Sadly the "I'd rather cut my nose off to spite my face" crowd will do nothing and give evil a free ride. 

One of the great Libertarian authors, Robert A Heinlein once wrote: 
 “If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for ... but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.” 
Mr. Gary Jonson is that "vote against" alternative. Even though there are a lot more Libertarians out there than one would think it appears they are a do nothing group. It's too bad that my fellow Libertarians would rather talk a good game and let evil win. On the plus side if The Donald wins I'm sure he will make the trains run on time, probably as well as Bill Clinton did.

That's it from up here North of Disorder.


No comments:

Post a Comment