Saturday, 28 May 2016

A Little about a Lot

Well so far the day has been more productive than yesterday. I was up, showered, shaved, fed and out by 11:15 which means, for a retired guy, I was moving at warp speed. I was over to my friend's place and we tackled the downspout problem. 

It was a mess with copious amount of foliage debris lodged in the pipe. With her help I managed to take apart the downspout and associated  piping then clean all the crap out of it.  Normally I would have simply taken a hose and run water down the pipe to clean it but the previous owner had wiring in the pipe to heat it in the winter. Why this was done beats the crap out of me.

I know it looks like a small job but there were to factors that have to be taken into consideration. The first one being I don't have a clue as to how downspouts are  assembled or mounted. The second issue was the weather. Right now it's 86 deg Fahrenheit, with the humidity it feel like 95 deg Fahrenheit. 
What the weathertainers say is coming later today.
Later on there is a thunderstorm warning for my area and I hope this will take care of some of the heat. In reality I suspect not because the weather guys are calling for the same tomorrow. 

Looking at the assorted odd jobs that I have been doing for friends it's rather funny. If you had told me I would be refinishing floors, fixing downspouts or launching a sailboat I would have said that you were nuts. Looking back at the eclectic kind of education I have had it's not that surprising that I can do these things. It all goes back to something I found out years ago. Don't handicap yourself with a lot of information about a narrow field of study, learn a little about a lot. As Heinlein wrote...
While I still won't change a diaper, I have never butchered a hog and I'm not that good a cook as our dwindling supply of Tums can attest. The rest of the list isn't that far out of reach, if it is out of reach at all. Something to think about if you want to be a little more resilient in your day to day living.

Well a cold beverage calls to me so that's about all from up here North of Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment